Thursday, January 1, 2015

Some Lessons Are Funnier Than Others

So far in Noah's life, I have written several blogs. Most of them have been pretty heavy lessons that God has taught me along the way. I get one of those lessons still daily pretty much, but in honor of a new year and a really fun stage in Noah's life I wanted to share with you some of the more humorous lessons being a mom has taught me.

1. Red lights are stupid. You just thought you hated red lights. Wait until your newborn baby falls asleep in the back seat after several minutes of crying. You pull up to the red light, and immediate hysteria begins again. The car is stressful with a crying baby. I have definitely developed road rage. In fact, on our way home for Christmas Noah had just fallen asleep and the automatic windshield wipers in my car came on making a really loud noise. Out of instinct I said through my teeth, "If you wake that baby up!" Bryan and I busted out in laughter when I had to end that statement with "...I have no idea how to punish you windshield wipers."
2. Keep your shoulders clean. I have never been so concerned with what is on my shoulders as I have been in the past few months. As soon as I pick him up, he starts to chew on my shoulder. My first concern is that they are clean so that he doesn't get something terrible in his mouth. However, with this new habit also comes remnants of sweet potatoes, prunes, and whatever else he has had in his mouth recently. Unfortunately I have had several experiences where I look in the mirror hours later when I'm somewhere important to find dried leftovers on my shoulders.
3. Moms aren't always nurses. Noah has only been sick a couple times in his life. Even those sicknesses would be considered minor from a nurse's perspective. I cannot be a nurse with Noah. I completely freeze up. Every time I think he may be a little sick I get so nauseous! He had a respiratory illness a few months ago, and I went in to find him very warm. I checked his temp and got 102.6. I was able to compose myself long enough to give him the right dose of Tylenol (thank God!) and hand him off to Bryan before going to the bathroom because I was sure I would be sick. I have taken care of hundreds of little fevers, and many have been MUCH higher than that. I am Noah's mom, and I am a terrible nurse when it comes to him being ill.
4. Fingernails grow fast. Man. Those hands. Noah has a thing for clawing those he loves. It seems like I have to cut his talons every other day!
5. So do little boys. I don't know that this one is very funny to me. He is growing SO fast. I remember wishing away sleepless nights and an immature tummy when he was very small. Now I just want him to slow down. In fact, when he first started showing signs of crawling I would pick him up every time because I wasn't ready. I finally gave in, and he is a pretty cute little mover. We still have those sleepless nights, though, so I guess that's how God chose to remind me he's still a baby. Either way, I'll take it. I'm learning not to wish anything away any more. There's not enough time to enjoy each little stage.
6. Love is gross. I have never in my life loved something in the way that I love Noah. Let me tell you that I have definitely loved my husband as much as I love Noah, and I believe that is very much a biblical concept. But I don't love him the way that I love Noah. I know it has been 7 months since I grew him in my belly, but I still feel like he is a part of me. He doesn't gross me out. I don't care when he slobbers...even if it gets in my mouth. The other day I made a comment how something on his arm stunk, and then I kissed it. Who am I?! I pick his nose. I don't care how gross you think that is. I think it is gross too, but it doesn't phase me with him. I clean the lint that seems to magically grow between his fingers and toes no matter how much I clean it. I do nasty things for this little boy that I never dreamed I would do for another human...at least without gloves.
7. Hide yo toes, hide yo phone. Since he has become mobile, he will do almost anything to put your foot or your phone in his mouth. I don't have much to add to that. We'll consider this a warning for when you see him next!

The first 7 months with Noah have brought more emotions that I thought my heart could possibly handle. It is not easy every day. In fact, most days have something that is hard. I have found more joy in being his mommy than in any other job or circumstance I have ever been in, though. I don't know that I'll ever fully comprehend the Father's love for me, but I'm convinced He created motherhood to give me a little glimpse. I pray that I can mirror His relentless, gracious, merciful, just love to Noah every day of his life.

"But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness." Psalm 86:15

1 comment:

  1. I love this - particularly because you find the joy in all the curve balls that get thrown at parents!

    ReplyDelete